Wednesday 22 May 2013

Curtis Axel Thoughts + My Mark Our Moment Worthy Return


So... where were we? Right, of course, the September 21st edition of Smackdown. Good show, you should check it out. 

Seriously though, after a long absence I figured I might take another crack at this. When I left last September it was due to a number of reasons. Firstly, there was the amount of college work that was piling up. I probably could have balanced both if I really tried, but it was obvious for a good few weeks before I left that the content was getting later, smaller and shittier. Now though, the Summer holidays have arrived, and I thought this might to another opportunity to start blogging again. 

Secondly, it was the traffic coming towards my site. It was, to put in mildly, bad. Like, Superstars ratings bad. It simply came to a stage where I felt there was no point in writing any more. But, it's something I've just got to accept now. And I think I have. It's a little blog about a nice product that's hosted by a website that takes up half of my URL. I get it, but I don't care. I'm just going to be writing up everyday (hopefully) about stuff in wrestling I want to talk about. It might be 800 words, or it might be 100 words. Either way, I'm just going to write about wrestling. 

And speaking of wrestling, why don't I talk about some? This past Monday I sat through an entire Raw for the first time in MONTHS. The 3 hours are unbearably long for me, and I can only find myself to skip to parts I want to watch (which seems to be getting increasingly smaller). But, I found myself on my couch at 1am on Monday, with no college the next day and decided to give it a watch. It wasn't worth it. The show wasn't good. And the thing I'm about to talk about wasn't even the best part of the show (that would have to go to the fantastic 6-Mam Tag Team match). 

Still though, the show did produce something that has gotten people talking, and that is the re-debut of such, of Michael McGillicutty A.K.A. Curtis Axel. 

Now, I wasn't really sure what to make of it. While watching the show on Monday I certainly didn't expect to see Michael McGillicutty back on Raw, especially with a bit of hype about him. It was a reveal that just kind of happened, and one that we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. 

I have to say though, that I was never a big fan of McGillicutty. I never got the hype about his in-ring work and his mic work was hilariously bad (Genesis of McGillicutty, anyone?). I never expected a big reveal this past Monday, and it was certainly better than the rumoured RVD return, but I guess it was always going to be the case where we have to see where things go with him. 

And that's what I'm going to do. Whatever I think about his work as a wrestler, I'm going to give him another chance. Maybe he's improved as a wrestler, and maybe he'll turn out to be a future main eventer. Who knows. Wrestlers have surprised me enough times before. Dolph Ziggler did it in 2010, Cody Rhodes in 2011, and Adam Cole in 2012. It happens, and I'm more than willing to give Curtis Axel a chance. 

It might be too big an ask of him, or he might take this opportunity in his stride. It's something that will take time, and one in which I'll be patient enough to see how it plays out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment